carey logo

Insurance Renovation

You may be one of the lucky ones. Disaster may never darken your doorstep.

But, then again... It's better to be prepared; have a plan. Inventory your belongings; understand your insurance policies; and keep your insurance documents, appraisals, wills and other important papers in a safe deposit box. 

Carey Contracting has years of experience helping homeowners cope with disruptive events. If disaster does strike, immediately report the incident to your insurance company and call Carey Contracting for temporary repairs to prevent further damage or vandalism. Save all your receipts. Payments for temporary repairs are part of the insurance settlement. If you are displaced from your home, motel and meals are often reimbursable under most insurance policies. 

Carey Contracting will prepare a written estimate for the insurance adjuster that includes details of the materials to be used and prices on a line-by-line basis. You and your insurance company will know exactly what repairs will cost -- no surprises.  We hope you don't need to submit an insurance claim, but if you should find yourself in need of assistance during a very stressful time, please think of us. We know how to help.

Place your cursor on the photo to see a before/after images.

I would not hesitate to hire Carey Contracting again, they were a very nice firm to work for and I had no problems with any of their workers. The workers did an excellent job and completed the job on time - M Hudson      Read more...

How long will it take my property to dry?

Drying time is determined by a combination of factors including the location, duration and source of water, the types of building materials, the weather conditions and how quickly emergency services begin. Through consistent monitoring and evaluation of the drying process, we can determine when the drying is complete. Your carpet may feel dry to the touch, but padding and sub-floors may still be wet underneath. While there are no rules to determine how long your property will take to dry, we can tell you it may take between three to five days or more, depending on the conditions.

How do I know when my property is completely dry?

Proper testing with specialized equipment is the correct way to determine if things are completely dry. Touch alone may be a false indicator. Carey Contracting Service Master division has the proper equipment for testing.

Will turning up the heat help dry things out?

Not necessarily. We will adjust the temperature to its optimum setting for the proper drying conditions. Please do not change the setting or shut off the system; doing so may prolong the drying process.

Do wet and buckling wood floors need to be replaced?

Wood flooring must be evaluated during the drying process. We employ specialized drying systems and dehumidifiers that enable us to create an environment where wood floors can dry more efficiently and resume their original shape. Due to the density of hardwood flooring and urethan finishes, drying may take up to three weeks or longer. If you filed a claim, your insurance adjustor will work with you to make the final decision as to whether floors will need to be refinished or replaced.

Can wet furniture be saved?

The extent of damage and the construction of the furniture will determine if your furniture can be restored. Your furniture must be dried before damage can be adequately assessed. Non-salvagable furniture will be documented for you and if any items need to be discarded, a customer release form will need to be signed.

Do we need to move out?

After severe property damage, if you file an insurance claim, you may receive guidance from your insurance representative. However, this is a decision you must reach on your own. There are several things to consider. Safety is paramount. Our equipment is as childproof as possible, but we require your supervision for making sure no children play with it. Air movers and dehumidifiers will create some noise and make your property drafty for a few days. It is important that the equipment remains on, so if the noise is disruptive to you, you might want to consider an alternate place to stay.

What's that smell?

It is not unusual to smell odors during the drying process. Increased heat and humidity can also lead to increased odors that may be coming from the drying building materials, or dormant spill and accident areas. Do not confuse these normal odors for the odors of mold. As the drying process continues and humidity levels drop, you'll notice these odors disappearing on their own. Deodorizers are often used to minimize these effects as well.

Does everything need to be moved out during restoration?

Not usually. If items need to be moved out, we'll let you know in advance.

If ceilings are wet, what needs to be done?

Our technicians will evaluate moisture content, determine the severity of the damage and may have to remove some of your ceiling for ventilation. The insulation can also be a hazard and may need to be removed.

Should I open the windows to help the drying process?

Opening your windows to assist the drying process is not always recommended. Outside weather conditions may vary, so the technician will determine when and if the outside air is appropriate.

Can I walk on the area during the drying process?

It is strongly suggested that you keep the traffic to a minimum. Wearing shoes is recommended for your safety.

Can my carpet be restored or will it have to be replaced?

A few reasons why your carpet may not be salvagable: Delamination (backing separates from the carpet fiber) Loss of adhesion (may be caused by prolonged exposure to water or age of the carpet) Permanent stains Carpet covers wood flooring; may not be able to salvage wood flooring) Sewage contamination Also, non-porous flooring can trap water and prevent it from drying properly.

Why did the technician leave wet carpet on my stairs?

Carpet on the stairs is generally not removed for safety reason. Exposed tack strip of staples, especially on steps is dangerous. However, there are situations where removing carpet from steps is necessary to prevent damage to hardwood steps or in the case of sewage contamination. Removing tack strip is not advised, as this may damage the hardwood or the sub-floor. Extreme caution must be used whenever tack strip is exposed or when the carpeted stairs are damp. If carpet left on the stairs is unsalvageable, it will be removed when new carpet is installed.

What will you do with my area rugs?

Rugs are taken to our warehouse for special care. They need to be dried carefully to minimize bleeding and discoloration. Your rugs will be dried, cleaned and returned.

Why are air movers and dehumidifiers used?

When water damage has occurred, water can be absorbed into the drywall, baseboards, sub-flooring, etc. Drying these surfaces requires high-velocity air movers to accelerate the release of absorbed water into the air. Dehumidifiers are necessary for removing this excess moisture to help protect propery and create conditions for efficient drying. Please do not turn off or move drying equipment without first calling us.

Who is responsible for monitoring the drying equipment?

Our water damage mitigation specialists will place and monitor equipment to achieve optimal results in the shortest amount of time. Please make sure no one turns the equipment off or moves it. Please notify our office immediately if the power goes off or if the equipment turns off.

What will it cost to run the drying equipment?

Based on average electrical rates, it may cost about a dollar a day to operate the drying equipment.

What about sewage contamination?

Hard surfaces can be cleaned and santized. Affected items that cannot be sanitized require disposal. Porous materials such as drywall, ceiling tiles, insulation, particleboard, paneling, etc. that have been directly affected should be removed during the emergency visit.

Who is responsible for paying for the cleaning service after an emergency?

Ultimately the property owner is responsible for payment. As the property owner you will need to sign a form authorizing the work and payment. If this is an insurance claim, we generally collect only the deductible amount and bill the balance to your insurance provider as a service to you. If you have a large loss, your mortgage company may be included as a payee on the check from your insurance company, and you may need to obtain a signature from them as well. If your claim is not covered, or you decide not to file a claim, you will be expected to pay in full at the time of service.

After a fire or smoke emergency, how long will the restoration take?

Because there are many variables and many services involved in fire and smoke restoration, it is difficult to predict exactly how long the complete restoration will take. We will provide a time/cost estimate after reviewing your particular situation.

Can I clean it myself?

We suggest that you do not attempt any "do-it-yourself" cleaning methods without consulting us. Pre-testing, using the right cleaning agent for the particular item, mixing deodorizing agents with cleaning solutions and using correct dilution rates are just some of the ways a fire restoration technician expertly controls the results. Professional cleaning systems and products used by experienced, trained technicians give you the best chance for complete restoration of your belongings.

What are some safety concerns?

At Carey Contracting, occupant and worker safety is top priority. During the initial inspection, safety hazards are identified and addressed, including debris removal, air quality, electrical hazards, slip and trip hazards, etc. Burnt electrical cords and appliances are separated out for disposal, and questionable electrical appliances are unplugged and tagged for evaluation of safe operations. Electrical power may be turned off and kept off until evaluation by a licensed electrician.

Can I turn on my heating and air conditioning unit?

We recommend that you not turn on your furnace or air conditioning unit without clearance from the HVAC contractor.

What items do I keep in my possession?

Cash, checkbooks, flammables, gas cans, medications, personal documents, pets, valuables, weapons/ammunition.

How do I keep track of non-restorable items?

We recommend you make a list of items (including food) deemed non-restorable. Use a simple format that notes the name of the item, the quantity, year purchase, and original cost. Your insurance company may have a form already prepared. Make a copy for your insurance agency and keep a copy for yourself.

Do I need to move out of my property during this process?

This is ultimately your decision. Some things you may want to consider are safety concerns, odors, electricity, noise from equipment, workers in your home, etc. If vacating your premises for any length of time, consider the following: forward your mail to your temporary residence; stop newspapers and other deliveries; notify utility company, cable company, etc of temporary suspension of service if applicable.

Will I need a general contractor?

Carey Contracting, which operates ServiceMaster as a subsidiary, will be happy to serve as your general contractor should you need drywall/painting, electical, plumbing, roofing, framing/finish carpentry, flooring/carpet, installation of doors, windows, cabinets, post construction clean-up, etc.

Do my belongings need to be moved away from the premises?

Depending on the source, nature and extent of the fire, it may be best to remove all belongings to a secure facility for cleaning, storage and to make room for restoration or construction. We will work with you and your insurance claim representative to manage this process.

Will I have access to my belongings while they are in storage?

Yes, with advance notice, we can schedule time for a technician to meet with you and provide access to your requested items. A service charge may apply.

What about special items? Artwork, china, heirlooms, etc.

Some high value items require restoration by a specialist. Working with your insurance claim representative, we can help you identify these and locate a qualified restorer.

Who is responsible for paying for the service?

Ultimately the property owner is responsible for payment. As the property owner you will need to sign a form authorizing the work and payment. If this is an insurance claim, Carey Contracting generally collects only the deductible amount and bills the balance to your insurance provider as a service to you. If you have a large loss, your mortgage company may be included as a payee on the check from your insurance company, and you may need to obtain a signature from them as well. If your claim is not covered, or you decide not to file a claim, you will be expected to pay in full at the time of service.